YES!!! You read that right! Just because you're married doesn't mean you have to stop spending quality time with one another. You date to find that perfect, special person. Now that you are married, that doesn't mean it should end. Just because you have kids isn't an excuse either. You don't always have to leave the house to have that special one on one time with one another. We have five children and we make it a priority to have special time together as often as we can and to do a day date or a date night at least 1-2 times a month. Tonight I'm surprising the hubby to one of his favorite restaurants... shhh.. just to show him how much I appreciate him and how proud I am of all he does for our family. If we don't leave the house then we put a movie on for the kids, set up a fun brotherly sleepover with a fun movie and treats or early bedtime so mama and dad can enjoy some time together.
Quality time is a necessity in any and every relationship. Especially marriage. This time together will allow you both to feel closer, deepen that bond and the love that you feel for one another. You can make dating in your marriage a routine and a good habit. Here are a few fun things we do for date nights that we love and never get bored of:
- Fun at the fire pit - I love sitting out by the firepit with our favorite drink, a dessert and just talk. Looking at the stars by the warm fire and just enjoying some quality time together
- Gifts - some people's love language is gifts but I love gifting gifts too and my husband loves giving me little things - flowers, a sweet card or love note and he even gifted me wooden flowers so that they will never die. That was a very sweet surprise. Even when he stops at the gas station for gas and comes home with my favorite candy bar - I love it because he thought of me! It's just something sweet and little we do just so we can tell one another I'm thinking of you
- Dine in car movie night - so my husband actually set this up one time and it was so sweet and romantic with thai food take out, our DVD player in the vehicle, and a ton of blankets and pillows with all the seats put down so we can lie down and enjoy our meal and movie. It was so much fun!
- Paint and wine night - I know there are a few sip and paint spots but you can also do this in the comfort of your own home with some light appetizers, some music, wine and just paint your heart out
- Movie night - of course this is fun and a lot of people do this but who doesn't love cuddling with their boo and enjoying a good movie or even a new favorite show? Start a new TV series, do a movie marathon or pick an actor or an actress and start watching their movies and see which one you love best. Currently we are watching The Neighborhood, Outlander and various movies - scary, action or funny - depending on the mood. The last movie we watched together was Godzilla vs. Kong. Don't forget the popcorn!
- Cooking - I love cooking - it's my thing. I love that my husband wants to always help me cook or prep for the meals. He thought of this great idea of us picking a country, finding a recipe and preparing a food dish from around the world! Greece is coming up soon! My favorite so far is France - we made beef bourguignon! It was absolutely delicious and we make it often. He also loves steak so whenever I want a romantic date night - beef is what's for dinner!
- Picnic - indoor or outdoor - set up a perfect spot with your favorite wine and snacks, or a charcuterie board and enjoy the intimacy
- Explore each other's hobbies - this is something fun to do because it gives you a taste of what your partner enjoys and you can see why it brings them joy. My husband loves golf, I never tried it. He bought me my first set and I had a lot of fun! It was very challenging but fun and it was nice and peaceful.
- Board games - find your favorite board games and have some fun, or a little competition. We love to play chess and Scrabble
There are so many activities you can do with your spouse to just have that special time together. It doesn't matter how long you've been married, keep that flame lit. Continue to show the love and watch that love grow.